Saturday, March 14, 2009

mother



I made this piece in my first ceramics class in my third year of college.  I think this piece was the outcome of happy accidents.  This my first time sculpting the figure with clay.  I think we had an hour and a half.  I remember I had problems with the wet clay sinking downwards so that the torso kept getting shorter and shorter.  After bisque firing it, I wanted to glaze it a blue-gray stone color with tiny blue speckles.  When it came out of the kiln I was horrified to discover that it turned out a terrible, ugly milky green toothpaste color.  A classmate suggested I glaze a darker color on top of it.  I used the dark brown wood color she gave me, hoping to give the piece an elegant polish.  The brown glaze didn't adhere very well to the first glaze but I love the end result.  You can see how some of the dark brown clings onto the initial light greenish glaze.

No comments: