Monday, April 6, 2009

cardboard shoe


In my second year of college, there was a cardboard project where we were only allowed the materials of cardboard and glue.  This is a picture of it in the kitchen after I moved it from the studio.  I remember that the last few days before I completed the project were torturous.  I think it was my first all-nighter that I spent at studio.  I remember staying there until 3am and then walking home and getting home at 4am.  And then making smaller detailed pieces until 5am.  Sleeping until 6am.  And then walking back to studio and getting there at 7am to finish before my 9am class.  I also remember gluing my pants to the floor at some point during the night.  

I started with the heel of the boot:


And here is the internal structure of the boot:


Here are pictures of the gallery display with close-ups:






And then I went and brought the cardboard shoe home from the studio with help from a couple of housemates.  It did look very strange outside the studio environment.  I think it was the first time after making something where I felt emotional attachment towards something that I've made.  


taking a break


taking another break outside the house


Atticus the neighborhood cat enjoying something unexpected


We stored it in the back of the hallway



And then it was decided that it needed to be taken apart.  I discovered that the supports were strong enough to support my friend.




the end.

No comments: